Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rainy Morning

The gentle pitter patter of raindrops on our bedroom skylight turned into a thunderous roar of epic proportions at some point during the night.  As a light sleeper, I sought refuge in our basement.  As morning was born, the sounds of the rainstorm were replaced with little footsteps of Eli and Lauren.  

The day was underway. The three of us piled onto the couch, snuggled under a blanket and watched old-fashioned Tom and Jerry cartoons.  We giggled and laughed as Jerry outsmarted Tom time and time again.  I stroked my daughter's hair and rubbed my son's back.  For a few moments, time was frozen.  Nothing to distract us from each other.  Time moves like sand grains through our fingers.  But, our rainy morning momentarily slowed life down and focused us on one another.

I used to really mind rainstorms.  Being stuck inside all day, whether it be at home or elsewhere, was not an inviting proposition.  Now, rainy days are welcome.  They keep the four of us in close proximity to one another, as we all stay under one roof and find activities to experience together.

As I type, the sun is trying to peek through the grey blanket of clouds.  The birds are chirping.  I'm thinking the weather may improve somewhat.  Regardless, I think the Trabers will stick inside, play some games, read some books, bake some brownies, and enjoy some snuggle time.  After lunch, we will all hunker down for an afternoon nap.  One day we will look back and wish for one more rainy day of togetherness.  But, not today.  Today, we have each other. . . and the rain.

Rain away.

4 comments:

  1. You post is filled with love and imagery. Rainy days can be so special. My kids are grown, but I still hold the special memories of times like yours in my heart. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, sweet memories. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Enjoy your rainy days, sometimes they are exactly what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Together for a day, savor it.

    ReplyDelete